Located at Jiacuoxiong town, Shigatse city, it is the ancestral monastery of Shalu sect of Tibetan Buddhism. The monastery was built in Song Dynasty (1087) by Xiraonaiqiong, a lama of Kadam Sect of Tibetan Buddhism.
It was destroyed in an earthquake in 1329 and with the generous donation of the emperors of Yuan Dynasty, it was then re-built. After that the monastery was the only one monastery in Tibet featured with the style of the combination of Tibetan and Han culture.
In 1987, the central government allocated funds of 870,000 yuan to conduct a comprehensive maintenance. It was listed as a key cultural relics site under the state protection in 1988.